History of the University hospital
Alongside Prague, Heidelberg, Vienna, Cologne and Erfurt, Würzburg is one of the oldest university cities in the German-speaking region. The original foundation of the university in 1402, made its way into the history books together with the anew foundation by the prince-bishop Julius Echter in 1582. In the year 1581, the first model of a university hospital was created at the University of Würzburg through the combination of the Faculty of Medicine and the Juliusspital.
The distinguished scientific reputation of the University Hospital of Würzburg was strengthened in the 19th century through the blossoming Faculty of Medicine. Among the chair holders of that time were outstanding physicians such Döllinger and Schoenlein, von Kölliker or von Virchow as well as von Rinecker who established the world’s first paediatric clinic in Würzburg. With their achievements they all contributed to the high prestige of the Faculty of Medicine Würzburg. Beyond doubt, a highlight of this medical development was the discovery of X-rays by Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen in 1895, which earned him the first Nobel Prize for physics.
Large parts of the present University Hospital are still located in the buildings of the Luitpold-Hospital which started its work in 1921; furthermore, there are "External Clinics" like the Department for Dental, Oral and Macillofacial Diseases. In the year 1974, Germany’s first head clinic was established. It is located in the immediate vicinity of the Luitpold-Hospital. The grand openings of the medical centres ZOM (2004) and ZIM (2009) mark another milestone in the history of the University Hospital.
To this day, it still ranks among the comprehensive German clinics for maximum medical care.