What is physiotherapy?
Knowledge of the value of exercise and massage as a therapeutic tool was already available to the most ancient civilizations. It is one of the naturopathic treatments and uses the active and passive movements of a person to prevent and cure diseases. Nowadays, the possibilities and methods have expanded considerably: sports, physiotherapy, massages, or physical stimulation treatments are among the numerous procedures with the aim of positively influencing the locomotor system.
Physiotherapy in psychiatry
Physiotherapy has many positive effects on the psyche:
- Exercises are experienced as joy and fun.
- Physical fitness is increased and motor skills are improved.
- Body mass can be maintained or even reduced.
- Aggressions and frustrations may be alleviated.
- Patients can actively experience their body.
- Communication and social skills are promoted, especially in group activities.
- Self-confidence is increased.
- Holistic health consciousness – that body, mind and soul are one unit – is stimulated.
Physiotherapeutic treatment offers
The range of treatments offered in the physical therapy department includes a broad spectrum of physiotherapeutic individual and group therapies and is provided by an experienced team of qualified and specialized professionals from the fields of physiotherapy, massage, and sports therapy.
Accordingly, the therapy spectrum is very extensive and includes manual therapies, massages or lymphatic drainage, reflexology massages, fango packs and electrotherapy. We also offer Kneipp treatments as well as therapeutic boxing.
Sports and exercise
Patients can participate in group activities ranging from early morning sports, sit-down gymnastics, Nordic walking, or hiking – tailored to different levels of ability. Team games take place in our own gymnasium or on the sports field, and in our own swimming pool, you can take part in water sports individually or in groups and particpiate in water gymnastics. A fitness room with equipment is available for muscle and cardio training.
Klinik und Poliklinik für Psychiatrie, Psychosomatik und Psychotherapie des Universitätsklinikums | Margarete-Höppel-Platz 1 | 97080 Würzburg | Deutschland